Open-world top-down army shooter RUNNING WITH RIFLES is finally on the home straight to a fully fledged release on Steam. Developer Modulaato first announced the game way back in 2011, and it has gone through the long process of working its way onto Steam Early Access just over a year ago. The game has just gone gold, shifting out of Early Access into a full retail release.
In a war where men die like flies and endless streams of reinforcements run to fill the void, it takes tactics and marksmanship to capture territories effectively. The open world nature of the game enables you to use a multitude of approaches to help the front line move – it’s up to you to shape your role. Experience the complete arc starting as a private hardening into a high ranking officer with a squad under command, arming yourself with a variety of weapons and vehicles on your way to glory!
Key features, so far:
- 11x 1 km^2 maps with total of ~90 bases
- hundreds of simultaneous AI soldiers, and minibosses
- open world: it’s up to you how you play, the war goes on without you
- not your usual “I’m the hero”-shooter: one bullet kills more often than not
- use cover, crouch and prone, move with others to increase your odds to stay alive
- emergent AI that tries hard: they too use cover and rooftops, attempt outflanking, deploy sandbags and utilize vehicles
- gain XP to get promotions to lead your own squad, unlock items & calls
- a broad variety of weapons, each faction with their own set
- grenades, bazookas, remote detonable sticky C4, riot shields, medikits, vests, rare weapons
- mortar strikes, paratrooper reinforcements, vehicle drops
- jeeps, transport trucks, APC’s, boats, tanks, patrol ships with AI driving
- deploy cover elements to strengthen your fellows’ positions or use vehicles for mobile cover
- campaign and quick matches, with Map Capture or King of the Hill game modes, Multiplayer with Deathmatch, Minimodes…
- locate & destroy radio trucks, towers and other structures behind enemy lines, or steal their cargo truck and deliver it home
- organize surprise attacks at less defended bases far in enemy territory
- locate prisoners and set them free
- explore locations for hidden items and vehicles
- Windows, Linux and Mac supported
- 24/7 dedicated servers in Europe and USA
Not only is RWR a fascinating Steam Early Access success story, the game provides a much needed fix for fans of the classic Cannon Fodder series wishing for a modern remake. It’s a game I played the hell out of last year, but have held back from too much exposure recently in anticipation of the 1.0 release. The game wears its influences on its sleeve, with a great mix of decent AI, unforgiving ballistics and a huge arsenal of weapons and vehicles.
But what would I like to see in the future? I don’t think Modulaatio should be ashamed to take on more influences in from the Cannon Fodder series. New environments are a given. Some variation of underground bunkers, multi-story buildings, swamps, farmland and everything in between. Taking ideas from old and new war movies like Apocalypse Now, Black Hawk Down, Act of Valor and everything in between. But what about air vehicles? I used to love flying around in the helicopters in Cannon Fodder. Balance it out with anti-air weapons and it’d be chaotic fun!
It would also be nice to get more cohesion with others in multi-player games. Although it’s lots of fun blasting away at each other, some more play on the ‘tactical’ aspect of the game, with a better cover system would add a lot.
To celebrate the full launch of the game, Modulaatio have slashed 15% off the retail price until 9 April in the Steam store.